Ontario Disability Support Program
If you have a disability and need help with your living expenses, you may be eligible for the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP).
- financial assistance to help you and your family with essential living expenses
- benefits for you and your family including prescription drugs and vision care
- help finding and keeping a job, and advancing your career
Types of Support
ODSP offers two types of support:
- Income support – Financial assistance provided each month to help with the costs of basic needs, like food, clothing and shelter. Income support also includes benefits like drug coverage and vision care for clients and their eligible family member.
- Employment support – Services and supports to help clients with disabilities find and keep a job, and to advance their careers.
Financial Planning Considerations
- Estate Planning: A common goal of parents is to ensure that government benefits are maintained and that plans are put in place to do so. I would encourage you to visit the Estate Planning room and watch the Henson Trust video which addresses this topic.
- Exempt Assets: Time and time again I’ll meet individuals who have no idea what assets are used to calculate qualification or exemption of benefits. Often people assume they have to spend money to stay within the allowable threshold for benefits to continue. Speak to me about the role that segregated funds can play in continuing your benefits; restructuring your assets with these investments may make you eligible for ODSP and keep you eligible.
Old Age Security and Guaranteed Income Supplement (Information and Calculator)
(Link leaves this site)